This post is inspired by the fact that I'm currently in the process of a 20 day parasite cleanse - and boy, has it been interesting! More on that in a bit. There's a prevailing misconception that you have to travel overseas or live in dirty conditions to pick up an intestinal parasite (or multiple parasites, eeek). It's actually frighteningly easy for these nasty buggers to enter our bodies through contaminated food or water and wreak havoc in our systems over a long period of time. In fact, many mysterious symptoms can be traced back to parasites. They also eat up your nutrients, leaving you with the scraps (as if a MTHFR needs that).
Some of the most common culprits are roundworms, tapeworms, flatworms, and hookworms. These little worms make their home in your intestines and lay eggs, ensuring a long legacy. Over time, they can cause what's called intestinal permeability (aka "leaky gut syndrome"). This means that your gut wall now has chinks in its armor, often leading to food intolerances, autoimmune disease, headaches, foggy thinking, and a whole host of other nasty symptoms.
I should have done a parasite cleanse a long time ago. I've gone to great lengths to heal my gut, and have come such a long way, but something has always stood in the way of that full healing. I've eliminated all problematic foods, and my symptoms have cleared up dramatically, but if I ever slip up, I pay dearly for it. I've learned that your gut wall can never fully heal if you have parasites eating away at it - well, duh, right?! I didn't even bother getting tested...I knew in my gut (pun intended) that this was a big part of my problem. Plus, I did travel overseas several times, which only increases the odds. So I went ahead and ordered an herbal supplement that's armed with a range of ingredients that will kill the whole spectrum of these suckers. It was high time they got their eviction notice.
Well, like I said, I don't want to get too graphic here, but I was shocked, appalled, amazed, intrigued, horrified (and just about every other emotion possible), at what I saw. And I'm only on day 5! Apparently, most of the parasites that are flushed out are invisible to the naked eye, but some grow large enough to make their presence known. So I know this supplement is doing it's job and I will definitely be finishing this round and will probably even do another. Perhaps, I will do a follow-up down the road and update you all on whether I notice a marked change in my health when it's all said and done.
Some people complain of "die-off" symptoms during a parasite cleanse, including headaches, body aches, nausea, foggy thinking, etc., but I can't say that I've experienced any negative symptoms. I think that eliminating folic acid, taking the proper form of supplemental folate, making lots of changes to my diet, and learning to detox like a MTHFR before doing this cleanse may be making the experience smoother. When parasites are killed, they release all kinds of nasty toxins into your body, so it's important that your lymph system is functioning optimally to escort it all out. So while I definitely recommend that all MTHFRs do a parasite cleanse, I think that it's important to make some changes that encourage your body to detox more efficiently first.
Have you ever tried a parasite cleanse? What was your experience like? Tell us about it!